VLIR-UOS awards scholarships to students from 54 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin-America, to follow a training or master programme at a Flemish university or university college in Belgium. The training and master programmes are taught in English. They are designed to enable graduates to assume positions of responsibility in their country of origin.
The master programmes, lasting one or two academic years, focus on specific problems of developing countries and/or are relevant to developing countries in a more general sense. They are designed to enable graduates to share and apply acquired knowledge in the home institution and country.
In the training programmes, lasting one to four months, the focus is on updating and adding knowledge, as well as about transferring acquired skills that are relevant to individuals working in institutions in developing countries.
Overview of eligible programmes
You can only apply for master (ICP) or training (ITP) programmes that are recognized and funded by VLIR-UOS following a selection process. See the list of eligible programmes in 2014.
Scholarship eligibility criteria
You can only apply for one master or training at the same time. You can find the requisites for application (regarding nationality, age, professional experience, ect.) on the eligibility criteria page.
The scholarships cover all related expenses. You can find information on the scholarship allowances for VLIR-UOS scholars in Belgium in the document 'Allowances and guidelines for VLIR-UOS scholarships intake 2013'.
How to apply for a scholarship
- You can only apply for one ICP or ITP
- The deadline for applications is determined by the programme. Check the list of eligible programmes 2014 to find out which calls for scholarships are currently open.
- You can apply for a scholarship by following the guidelines for application on the website of the training or master programme of your interest.
- In case of doubt, please contact the training or master programme.
- Applications that are sent to VLIR-UOS directly by the candidate will not be considered.
- Once can apply for a programme without applying for a scholarship. Candidates who apply for both but in the end are not awarded a scholarship, can still register if they are willing and able to secure own funding or other funding than the VLIR-UOS scholarship.
- After having submitted your application file to the programme of your choice, you will be asked to send a printout of your application file along with all required documents (diploma transcripts, motivation, etc.) to the International Office of the host university or university college (not to VLIR-UOS!).
- You will receive the selection result by e-mail. Everybody will be informed as soon as possible after selection.
- Candidates selected for a VLIR-UOS scholarship will be contacted by VLIR-UOS around mid June 2014 at the latest, in order to start up the visa procedure.
Studying in Flanders
The Study in Flanders website provides information on study opportunities in Flanders, Belgium. It gives an overview of the Dutch-speaking universities and university colleges in Belgium. The website provides you with tips on how to prepare your stay, how to find funding opportunities and information on research in Flanders.
For questions regarding the application for a specific training or master programme, please find the contact information on the website of the training or master programme.
For general questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.