Bolivia is one of the 20 partner countries of VLIR-UOS. From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS spent over € 5 million for cooperation programmes with Bolivia, including two Institutional University Cooperation programmes with Universidad Mayor de San Simón and the Universidad Católica Boliviana.
Bolivia is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Bolivia 2003-2016 (in €)
A Country strategy for Bolivia
The Country Strategy Paper for Bolivia identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Bolivia:
- Environment & nature resources (water, irrigation, climate change, pollution, etc.)
- Food security & sovereignty (focus on family agriculture)
- Social development (social insecurity and safety, public health, indigenous rights, multiculturalism, immigration, etc.)
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting theme:
- Research support (policy, data management, statistics, academic English, scientific writing, interface with society, etc.)
Priority is given to universities of the national system (public institutions + UCB, excluding military and police schools) and UNIBOL (3 Indigenous universities). Cooperation with institutes outside the central axis (La Paz - Cochabamba - Santa Cruz) is stimulated.
More information on the Country Strategy Process for Bolivia.
- The Bolivia Fact Sheet is a summary on the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sector of higher education.
- Joint Context Analysis (JCA) of Bolivia. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Bolivia and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Bolivia. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Bolivia. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
- Linking the JSF with the VLIR-UOS country strategy. This document provides a general overview of relevant information from the Joint Strategic Framework for each thematic area of the VLIR-UOS country strategy. The Joint Strategic Goal relevant for each theme is listed, together with the Belgian non-governmental actors which are (or will be) active with funding of the Belgian development cooperation in the 2017-2021 period. By providing this list, VLIR-UOS wants to promote synergy and/or complementarity with programmes of other Belgian actors.
Overview of ongoing projects
Giving a voice to Bolivian street children and their mothers: 'We want to be heard!'
Research project on the impact of socio-economical risk factors for children, adolescents and their families in urbanized Bolivian communities.
Read more »