VLIR-UOS cooperation in Cuba
Cuba is one of the key partner countries of VLIR-UOS. After nearly 20 years of successful cooperation, Cuba assured itself a special place in the VLIR-UOS portfolio.
From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS budgeted € 16.519.320 for cooperation programmes with Cuba, including two institutional university cooperation programmes (with Universidad Central "Marta Abreu" de las Villas and with Universidad de Oriente). VLIR-UOS also funds a Network cooperation in Cuba, coordinated by Universidad Central "Marta Abreu" de las Villas.
Cuba is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Cuba 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Cuba
The Country Strategy for Cuba identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Cuba:
- Food security & agricultural production. Sub-themes: Food and livestock production; Veterinary sciences; Plant and animal biotechnology; Rural development and agricultural management.
- Environment. Sub-themes: Impact of climate change; Soil and water systems; Clean technology and production; Clean and efficient energy; Coastal zone management.
- Socio-cultural and tourism development. Sub-themes: Sustainable management of cultural heritage; Cultural tourism development and management.
- Public health. Sub-themes: Preventive medicine; Community health; Epidemiology / ICT and health.
- ICT and applications. Sub-themes: Artifical intelligence and computer sciences; Bio-informatics; ICT and education.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- ICT and applications. Sub-themes: ICT systems and administration; Statistics and bio-statistics; Learning platforms development.
- Language and communications. Sub-themes: English language learning and communication; Writing & presentation for academic purposes.
- Information management. Sub-themes: Library & information services management; Access to research information and resources.
More information on the VLIR-UOS country strategy process for Cuba.
The VLIR-UOS compiled documents are work in progress, and your feedback in terms of their completion and/or improvement is much appreciated.
- The Cuba Fact Sheet is a draft summary on the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sector of higher education.
- Joint Context Analysis (JCA) of Cuba. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Cuba and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Cuba. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Cuba. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
- Linking the JSF with the VLIR-UOS country strategy. This document provides a general overview of relevant information from the Joint Strategic Framework for each thematic area of the VLIR-UOS country strategy. The Joint Strategic Goal relevant for each theme is listed, together with the Belgian non-governmental actors which are (or will be) active with funding of the Belgian development cooperation in the 2017-2021 period. By providing this list, VLIR-UOS wants to promote synergy and/or complementarity with programmes of other Belgian actors.
Overview of ongoing projects
Flemish open source software finds its way to libraries and museums in Cuba
ABCD is a library computerisation system based on free open source software. The DOCBIBLAS project promotes the application of ABCD in various VLIR-UOS partner countries.
Read more »
When Google cannot provide the answer
Need to know how to deal with limited bandwidth, build robust network infrastructure and motivate trainers?
Read more »
Heritage protection in Cuba
Multidisciplinary research team brings history back to life. 'Paintings and books are rotting away and many buildings are falling into decay.'
Read more »
Final evaluation of the cooperation with Universidad Central Marta Abreu de las Villas (UCLV), Cuba (September 2013)
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2013
What you always wanted to know about VLIR-UOS | Why scholar Pauline want to win the Nobel Prize | How pilotless flights above the Andes lead to better agriculture
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2014
Flemish professor is given the surprise of his life in DR Congo; Tran Thi Dinh's dream of keeping food fresh in Vietnam; and other stories on the impact of almost 20 years of cooperation with Tanzania, Ecuador, Cuba, South Africa, ...