VLIR-UOS cooperation in Ecuador
Ecuador is one of the key partner countries of VLIR-UOS. From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS budgeted € 16.902.175 for cooperation programmes with Ecuador, including two institutional university cooperation programmes (with Universidad de Cuenca and with Escuela Superior Politécnica des Litoral). VLIR-UOS also funds a Network cooperation in Ecuador, coordinated by Escuela Superior Politécnica des Litoral.
Ecuador is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Ecuador 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Ecuador
The Country Strategy for Ecuador identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Ecuador:
- Biodiversity/natural resources. Sub-themes: Biotechnology; Biomedicine; Energy and agricultural production systems.
- Education. Sub-themes: Educational research and problem based learning; Research based education; Teacher training; Ph.D. training.
- Health. Sub-themes: Health system and public health; Family medicine; HIV.
- Social sciences. Sub-themes: Security issues; Migration and intercultural topics.
- Food and nutrition.
- Cultural heritage.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- University management and issues related to strengthening of academic skills. Sub-themes: Scientific writing; Statistics; Academic English; Library and ICT skills.
- Institutional capacity building. Sub-themes: HR; Educational and research policies; University management.
More information on the VLIR-UOS Country Strategy for Ecuador.
The VLIR-UOS compiled documents are work in progress, and your feedback in terms of their completion and/or improvement is much appreciated.
- The Ecuador Fact Sheet is a draft summary on the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sector of higher education.
- Joint Context Analysis (JCA) of Ecuador. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Ecuador and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Ecuador. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Ecuador. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
- Linking the JSF with the VLIR-UOS country strategy. This document provides a general overview of relevant information from the Joint Strategic Framework for each thematic area of the VLIR-UOS country strategy. The Joint Strategic Goal relevant for each theme is listed, together with the Belgian non-governmental actors which are (or will be) active with funding of the Belgian development cooperation in the 2017-2021 period. By providing this list, VLIR-UOS wants to promote synergy and/or complementarity with programmes of other Belgian actors.
Overview of ongoing projects
- Call for Projects - TEAM, South Initiatives and JOINT 2018 TEAM projects and South initiatives are departmental projects which focus on specific developmental problems. JOINT stands for JOINT (Intern)national Academic Networking. JOINT projects are about academic exchange and networking in broad international or national setting.
The impact of international migration on the life of a community: the laboratory known as Ecuador
Migration has profoundly changed Ecuadorian society over the past sixty years. German Calfat tells us about his project's challenges.
Read more »
Zebra fish help research into cancer and epilepsy
Zebra fish are used for medical research in Suriname and Ecuador. The method is cheap and easy to apply.
Read more »
Jorge Calderón: ‘This cooperation moved ESPOL in a different direction’
Jorge Calderón receives a prize-medal at UGent for his effort in the partnership between ESPOL (Ecuador) and UGent.
Read more »
Universities in Ecuador and Flanders unite on biodiversity
The country strategy with Ecuador has already led to structural cooperation between the Ecuadorian universities, which is a first.
Read more »
Biodiversity and higher education: catalysts for development in Ecuador
VLIR-UOS receives an acknowledgement for its support to the development of ESPOL in Ecuador and the creation of a national network on biodiversity.
Read more »
Mid-term evaluation of the ongoing cooperation with Universidad de Cuenca, Ecuador (May 2011)
Final evaluation of the cooperation with Escuela Superior Politecnica Del Litoral (ESPOL), Ecuador (March 2010)
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2013
What you always wanted to know about VLIR-UOS | Why scholar Pauline want to win the Nobel Prize | How pilotless flights above the Andes lead to better agriculture
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2014
Flemish professor is given the surprise of his life in DR Congo; Tran Thi Dinh's dream of keeping food fresh in Vietnam; and other stories on the impact of almost 20 years of cooperation with Tanzania, Ecuador, Cuba, South Africa, ...