Nicaragua is one of the 20 partner countries of VLIR-UOS. From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS budgeted € 1.860.089 for cooperation programmes with Nicaragua.
Nicaragua is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Nicaragua 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Nicaragua
The Country Strategy for Nicaragua identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Nicaragua:
- Environment: environmental (climate) change, effects on disease, agriculture, biodiversity, natural resources, link with economy, link with eco-tourism/eco-labels/entrepreneurship, waste management
- Territorial development: land transition, local development, local governance, productive landscapes, link with agroforestry (cacao, pine forest, etc.), spatial contexts (rural & urban condition), concept of rurality, zones of conflict, agricultural development, sustainable development, possible link with public health/disease control
- Society: inclusive governments, human rights, social & community development education, local governance, migration, transitional justice, intercultural issues, land rights, gender & violence, youth & violence, possible link with public health/disease control
Special attention should go to cross-cutting and supporting issues for all activities in Nicaragua:
- Research strategy/thinking
- Problem based/hypothesis driven research and innovation
- Academic English
- Proposal writing
- Open library & access systems
- Gender mainstreaming and balances
- Intercultural diversity
- Multidisciplinary research
More information on the Country Strategy process for Nicaragua.
VLIR-UOS compiled documents are work in progress, and your feeback in terms of completion and/or improvement is much appreciated.
- The Nicaragua Fact Sheet is a draft summary in the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sectors of higher education.
- Joint Context Analysis of Nicaragua. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Nicaragua and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Nicaragua. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Nicaragua. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
- Background document Nicaragua. This document gives basic information on the VLIR-UOS country strategy, the link with the Joint Strategic Framework Nicaragua and information on the programmes of other Belgian non-governmental actors active in Nicaragua.
Overview of ongoing projects
Improving health care in Nicaragua and the region
Three finalized VLIR-UOS projects worked on improving health care in Nicaragua and the region.
Read more »
Improving development services through synergy with territorial dynamics in rural Nicaragua
A finalized TEAM project with the the Instituto Nitlapan of Universidad Centro Americana (UCA) has worked on strengthening knowledge and teaching about methods and approaches to promote inclusive and sustainable rural development.
Read more »