Peru is one of the 20 partner countries of VLIR-UOS. From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS budgeted € 8.107.466 for cooperation programmes with Peru, including one institutional university cooperation programme with Universidad Nacional Agraria la Molina.
Peru is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Peru 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Peru
The Country Strategy for Peru identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Peru:
- Environment. Sub-themes: mining impact, climate change, natural resources, biodiversity.
- Food security and agriculture. Sub-themes: farming systems, rural development, value chains, agribusiness, nutrition.
- Health. Sub-themes: nutrition, virology, public health/mental health and care.
- Economy. Sub-themes: SME & private sector development, financial inclusion, regional and sustainable development.
- Government & society. Sub-themes: good governance/civil society, social development, conflict prevention, indigenous communities, multi-ethnicity.
The following crosscutting theme is relevant for all activities in Peru:
- Institutional strenghtening. Sub-themes: university management, improving quality of research and education (incl. statistics), academic English.
More information on the VLIR-UOS Country Strategy for Peru.
The VLIR-UOS compiled documents are work in progress, and your feedback in terms of their completion and/or improvement is much appreciated.
- The Peru Fact Sheet is a draft summary on the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sector of higher education.
- Joint Context Analysis of Peru. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Peru and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Peru. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Peru. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
- Linking the JSF with the VLIR-UOS country strategy. This document provides a general overview of relevant information from the Joint Strategic Framework for each thematic area of the VLIR-UOS country strategy. The Joint Strategic Goal relevant for each theme is listed, together with the Belgian non-governmental actors which are (or will be) active with funding of the Belgian development cooperation in the 2017-2021 period. By providing this list, VLIR-UOS wants to promote synergy and/or complementarity with programmes of other Belgian actors.
Overview of ongoing projects
- Call for Projects - TEAM, South Initiatives and JOINT 2018 TEAM projects and South initiatives are departmental projects which focus on specific developmental problems. JOINT stands for JOINT (Intern)national Academic Networking. JOINT projects are about academic exchange and networking in broad international or national setting.
Closing digital divide in Peruvian Andes
Two isolated primary schools have received refurbished laptops and technical support as part of the cooperation with the Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina.
Read more »
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2013
What you always wanted to know about VLIR-UOS | Why scholar Pauline want to win the Nobel Prize | How pilotless flights above the Andes lead to better agriculture