Rwanda has regained its place among the 20 partner countries of VLIR-UOS since June 2016 because of a returning interest for academic cooperation with the country. In the past thirteen years, VLIR-UOS financed 5 departmental projects (TEAM and SI) in Rwanda up to a total budget of 780.803 EUR. New interventions will be selected during the 2017-2021 period after elaborating a country strategy that will be the basis -reference framework- for new project calls.
Rwanda is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Rwanda 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Rwanda
The Country Strategy for Rwanda identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Rwanda:
- Food security. Sub-themes: land degradation, soil management, land administration & policy, land rights, land registration, land conflicts, rural economies and infrastructure, family agriculture.
- Natural resources management. Sub-themes: natural & mineral resources, natural hazards, seismology, renewable energy.
- Environment. Sub-themes: urban and spatial planning, climate change, erosion.
- Health. Sub-themes: non-communicable diseases, patient-oriented health care, health, audiology, midwifery, nursing, occupational therapy, maternal and child health, ophthalmology, ageing (geriatrics), midwifery, link with social sciences: mental health, active ageing, psychiatric nurses, medicinal plants.
- Human rigths and governance. Sub-themes: human rights, political rights, land rights, gender, urban and spatial planning and development, conflict.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- Quality assurance and training the trainers approach also linked to technical and vocational training
- Data analysing and communicating results
- Good research and lab practices (incl. maintenance of equipment)
- Statistics for research
- Developing spin offs
- Digitalisation, database access and management.
Rwanda’s Vision 2020 indicates that the development of a knowledge based economy is a top priority and foresees a key role in this for higher education and research. Therefore the strengthening of higher education, research and innovation is certainly a crosscutting priority. The transversal and priority themes of the Belgian government (gender, environmental sustainability, digitalisation for development and human rigths approach) were also brought up and are taken into account within the clusters.
More information on the VLIR-UOS country strategy process for Rwanda.
VLIR-UOS compiled documents are work in progress, and your feedback in terms of their completion and/or improvement is much appreciated.
- The Rwanda Fact Sheet is a draft summary on the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sector of higher education.
- Joint Context Analysis (JCA) of Rwanda. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Rwanda and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Rwanda. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Rwanda. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
- Linking the JSF with the VLIR-UOS country strategy. This document provides a general overview of relevant information from the Joint Strategic Framework for each thematic area of the VLIR-UOS country strategy. The Joint Strategic Goal relevant for each theme is listed, together with the Belgian non-governmental actors which are (or will be) active with funding of the Belgian development cooperation in the 2017-2021 period. By providing this list, VLIR-UOS wants to promote synergy and/or complementarity with programmes of other Belgian actors.
Overview of ongoing projects