Suriname is one of the 20 partner countries of VLIR-UOS. From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS budgeted € 7.849.198 for cooperation programmes with Suriname, including one institutional university cooperation programme with Anton De Kom University.
Suriname is no longer one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Travel grants to Suriname however are still possible.
Facts and figures
Total budget Suriname 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Suriname
The Country Strategy for Suriname identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Suriname:
- Sustainable management of natural resources
- Public health
- Social development
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- Support of the partner institutions in terms of policy (good governance), management (HRM & (institutional) capacity building) and internationalization.
- Support of threefold task of the institution: education, research and service to society
More information on the VLIR-UOS Country Strategy for Suriname.
- Joint Context Analysis of Suriname. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Suriname and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
Overview of ongoing projects
- Call for Projects - TEAM, South Initiatives and JOINT 2018 TEAM projects and South initiatives are departmental projects which focus on specific developmental problems. JOINT stands for JOINT (Intern)national Academic Networking. JOINT projects are about academic exchange and networking in broad international or national setting.
Zebra fish help research into cancer and epilepsy
Zebra fish are used for medical research in Suriname and Ecuador. The method is cheap and easy to apply.
Read more »
Mid-term evaluation of the IUC partner programme with Anton de Kom University of Suriname (AdeKUS) (May 2012)
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2013
What you always wanted to know about VLIR-UOS | Why scholar Pauline want to win the Nobel Prize | How pilotless flights above the Andes lead to better agriculture