VLIR-UOS cooperation in Vietnam
Vietnam is one of the key partner countries of VLIR-UOS. From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS budgeted € 20.797.353 for cooperation programmes with Vietnam, including three long term institutional university programmes with Hue University, Can Tho University and Hanoi University of Science and Technology. VLIR-UOS also funds a network cooperation in Vietnam, coordinated by Can Tho University.
Vietnam is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Vietnam 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Vietnam
The Country Strategy for Vietnam identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Vietnam:
- Biosciences for food. Sub-themes: Value chain management; Food safety and food security; Aquaculture development; Terrestrial animal production; Plant biotechnology; Health and balanced nutrition.
- Environment and natural resources. Sub-themes: Impact of climate change; Biodiversity and conservation of endangered species; Environmentalo and ecosystems management; Water resources management; Soil systems and degradation; Natural heritage.
- Public and rural health. Sub-themes: Community primary health care; Preventive health care; Maternal and child health; Epidemiology; Natural and community nutrition; Food hygiene; Hospital management.
- Technology development. Sub-themes: ICT and information networks; Electronics and telecommunications; Cleaner production and life cycle engineering; Marketing and logistics; Chemistry; Waste management and treatment technology; Clean, efficient and sustainable energy.
- Institutional strengthening and reform. Sub-themes: Higher education reform; ICT, e-learning and distant education; Networking; Statistics; Social sciences and research methodologies; Vocational education; University management; Good governance.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- Governance and organisational development
- Environment and climate change
- Social protection and social security
- HIV / AIDS
- Research based education
- Research-education community outreach
- Higher professional / vocational education and training
- Institutional networking
More information on the VLIR-UOS Country Strategy for Vietnam.
The Belgo-Vietnamese Rectors' Mission 2015
In October 2015 a delegation of Vietnamese rectors and higher education representatives visited Belgium, as part of the Belgo-Vietnamese Rectors' Mission. Read the conclusions by VLIR-UOS.
The VLIR-UOS compiled documents are work in progress, and your feedback in terms of their completion and/or improvement is much appreciated.
- The Vietnam Fact Sheet is a draft summary on the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sector of higher education.
- Joint Context Analysis (JCA) of Vietnam. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Vietnam and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and synergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Vietnam. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Vietnam. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
- Linking the JSF with the VLIR-UOS country strategy. This document provides a general overview of relevant information from the Joint Strategic Framework for each thematic area of the VLIR-UOS country strategy. The Joint Strategic Goal relevant for each theme is listed, together with the Belgian non-governmental actors which are (or will be) active with funding of the Belgian development cooperation in the 2017-2021 period. By providing this list, VLIR-UOS wants to promote synergy and/or complementarity with programmes of other Belgian actors.
Overview of ongoing projects
- Call for Projects - TEAM, South Initiatives and JOINT 2018 TEAM projects and South initiatives are departmental projects which focus on specific developmental problems. JOINT stands for JOINT (Intern)national Academic Networking. JOINT projects are about academic exchange and networking in broad international or national setting.
Universities contribute to better ecosystems and rural health in Vietnam
The institutional university cooperation between Hue University and five Flemish universities focuses on on livestock, aquaculture, crop production, ecosystems and rural health
Read more »
Country evaluation Vietnam (May 2011)
Final evaluation of the cooperation with Can Tho University (CTU), Vietnam (December 2008)
Final evaluation of the cooperation with Hanoi University of Technology (HUT), Vietnam (October 2008)
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2013
What you always wanted to know about VLIR-UOS | Why scholar Pauline want to win the Nobel Prize | How pilotless flights above the Andes lead to better agriculture
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2014
Flemish professor is given the surprise of his life in DR Congo; Tran Thi Dinh's dream of keeping food fresh in Vietnam; and other stories on the impact of almost 20 years of cooperation with Tanzania, Ecuador, Cuba, South Africa, ...