VLIR-UOS cooperation in Vietnam
Vietnam is one of the key partner countries of VLIR-UOS. From 2003 to 2016 VLIR-UOS budgeted € 20.797.353 for cooperation programmes with Vietnam, including three long term institutional university programmes with Hue University, Can Tho University and Hanoi University of Science and Technology. VLIR-UOS also funds a network cooperation in Vietnam, coordinated by Can Tho University.
Vietnam is also one of the 31 scholarship countries of VLIR-UOS. Nationals can apply for a scholarship to follow a training or Master programme at a Flemish university or university college.
Facts and figures
Total budget Vietnam 2003-2016 (in €)
A country strategy for Vietnam
The Country Strategy for Vietnam identifies the following main themes for all future interventions in the cooperation with Vietnam:
- Biosciences for food. Sub-themes: Value chain management; Food safety and food security; Aquaculture development; Terrestrial animal production; Plant biotechnology; Health and balanced nutrition.
- Environment and natural resources. Sub-themes: Impact of climate change; Biodiversity and conservation of endangered species; Environmentalo and ecosystems management; Water resources management; Soil systems and degradation; Natural heritage.
- Public and rural health. Sub-themes: Community primary health care; Preventive health care; Maternal and child health; Epidemiology; Natural and community nutrition; Food hygiene; Hospital management.
- Technology development. Sub-themes: ICT and information networks; Electronics and telecommunications; Cleaner production and life cycle engineering; Marketing and logistics; Chemistry; Waste management and treatment technology; Clean, efficient and sustainable energy.
- Institutional strengthening and reform. Sub-themes: Higher education reform; ICT, e-learning and distant education; Networking; Statistics; Social sciences and research methodologies; Vocational education; University management; Good governance.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- Governance and organisational development
- Environment and climate change
- Social protection and social security
- HIV / AIDS
- Research based education
- Research-education community outreach
- Higher professional / vocational education and training
- Institutional networking
More information in the VLIR-UOS Country Strategy for Vietnam.
The country strategy process
In 2011 and 2012 several steps were taken to come up with a country strategy for Vietnam. Starting from a desk study with a contextual analysis, stakeholders were consulted in Belgium and in Vietnam.
The mission report Vietnam presents a match between the recommendations from Flemish stakeholders through consultations and interviews and the Vietnamese priorities for cooperation as gathered during the mission and the seminar in Vietnam.
Based on this mission report and its strategic considerations, VLIR-UOS worked out a strategy paper for Vietnam that draws the outlines for all future interventions in the cooperation with Vietnam. This document was discussed at level of the FLemish university associations and was confirmed as the reference framework for programming and more in particular as reference for calls and selections.
The Belgo-Vietnamese Rectors' Mission 2015
In October 2015 a delegation of Vietnamese rectors and higher education representatives visited Belgium, as part of the Belgo-Vietnamese Rectors' Mission. Read the conclusions by VLIR-UOS.
The VLIR-UOS compiled documents are work in progress, and your feedback in terms of their completion and/or improvement is much appreciated.
- The Vietnam Fact Sheet is a draft summary on the general status of the country with specific attention for the development aid actors as well as the sector of higher education.
- The Vietnam Linkages List provides an overview of past and present linkages between relevant Belgian (academic) institutions and Vietnam, including those that are not VLIR-UOS funded.
- The Vietnam thematic and strategic framework presents the various donor interventions along thematic lines with reference to partners and national development priorities.
- The statistical box provides a quick profile of Vietnam.
- Joint Context Analysis (JCA) of Vietnam. This document aims at an analysis of the context in Vietnam and of the opportunities to collaborate for the non-governmental actors of the Belgian Development Cooperation from 2017 until 2026. It should primarily be seen as an opportunity to identify possible ways of cooperation, complementarity and syngergy.
- Joint Strategic Framework (JSF) of Vietnam. This document presents different joint strategic goals which the non-governmental actors have put forward, based on the JCA Vietnam. Each goal is specified into different approaches, which reflects the contributions of different actors to the joint strategic goal. An elaboration on the development relevance of every goal is also included. The last chapter elaborates commitments for synergy and complementarity between Belgian actors, related to the presented goals and approaches. Special attention is given to the transversal themes gender and environment.
Several governments and international organizations have relationships with Vietnam. We made an overview of the relationships between Vietnam and international and European institutions. We listed their websites and documents on the cooperation with Vietnam. In the following we give you some of the most relevant documents:
Overview of ongoing projects
Universities contribute to better ecosystems and rural health in Vietnam
The institutional university cooperation between Hue University and five Flemish universities focuses on on livestock, aquaculture, crop production, ecosystems and rural health
Read more »
Country evaluation Vietnam (May 2011)
Final evaluation of the cooperation with Can Tho University (CTU), Vietnam (December 2008)
Final evaluation of the cooperation with Hanoi University of Technology (HUT), Vietnam (October 2008)
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2013
What you always wanted to know about VLIR-UOS | Why scholar Pauline want to win the Nobel Prize | How pilotless flights above the Andes lead to better agriculture
Annual report VLIR-UOS 2014
Flemish professor is given the surprise of his life in DR Congo; Tran Thi Dinh's dream of keeping food fresh in Vietnam; and other stories on the impact of almost 20 years of cooperation with Tanzania, Ecuador, Cuba, South Africa, ...