All interventions are framed within our country strategy for Cuba, which is completely aligned with the country's national development. It also includes increased attention to the development of Eastern (’Oriente’) Cuba and higher education priorities. The strategy also further elaborates upon the following main themes:
- Food security & agricultural production. Subthemes: Food and livestock production, veterinary sciences, plant and animal biotechnology, rural development and agricultural management.
- Environment. Subthemes: Climate change impact, soil and water systems, clean technology and production, clean and efficient energy, coastal zone management.
- Socio-cultural and tourism development. Subthemes: Sustainable management of cultural heritage, cultural tourism development and management.
- Public health. Subthemes: Preventive medicine, community health, epidemiology / ICT and health.
- ICT for development. Subthemes: Artifical intelligence and computer sciences, bio-informatics; ICT and education.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- ICT and applications. Subthemes: ICT systems and administration, statistics and bio-statistics, learning platforms development.
- Language and communications. Subthemes: English language learning and communication, writing and presenting for academic purposes.
- Information management. Subthemes: Library and information services management, access to research information and resources.