In its partner country programmes, VLIR-UOS funds university cooperation projects between professors and researchers from Flanders (Belgium) and from 20 'partner' countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
In its Belgium programme, VLIR-UOS also awards
- scholarships to students and professionals coming from 19 of the partner countries (all except Suriname) and 12 additional 'scholarship' countries (see full list of scholarship countries here);
- 'travel grants' to students from Flemish higher education institutions, to the 20 partner countries (including Suriname) and 12 additional scholarship countries and only in 2017, including India.
20 partner countries
- Africa: Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Morocco, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa,
- Asia: Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam,
- Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Peru, Suriname,
31 scholarship countries
- Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa
- Asia: Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam
- Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru