The Philippines Country Strategy fits with the national long-term vision 2040 and its aspiration for the country that Filipinos are smart and innovative. The following main themes are identified for all future interventions in the cooperation with the Philippines:
- Health. Subthemes: infectious diseases, drug rehabilitation, community health (incl. remote areas).
- Social development. Subthemes: Human trafficking, good governance and decentralisation, anthropology, cultural studies, ethics, social development & justice, interreligious dialogue & religion-based conflicts (link with critical thinking), migration, human rights, conflict dynamics, urban planning, entrepreneurship/small businesses in link with inclusive growth and economies.
- Food security. Subthemes: Food safety, agriculture, aquaculture, link with water resources management and environment, smallholders farmers (cacao farmers, ..), bee-keeping, link with rural and inclusive economies.
- Environment. Subthemes: Sustainable management of natural resources (incl. environmental impact of mining), climate change, disaster prevention and management (typhoons, early warning system), marine ecosystem, biodiversity.
Research and education should stimulate processes of critical and scientific thinking. Therefore addressing cross-cutting support domains in terms of research strengthening and methodology (analytical thinking, problem-based, research-based) and improving educational quality (curricula, room for critical thought, ..) is important. Other subthemes mentioned:
- multidisciplinary research
- research dissemination
- access to digital resources
- sharing output
- ICT (applications and infrastructure) for research
- distance learning
- libraries: e-sources & e-books
- support for regional publications
- career opportunities for young academics
The transversal and priority themes of the Belgian government (gender, environmental sustainability, digitalisation for development, human rights approach and private sector links) were also brought up and are taken into account within the clusters.