The Country Strategy for Ecuador fits in with the Ecuadorian national strategy for improving the quality of life (‘Buen vivir’). The following main themes are identified for all future interventions in the cooperation with Ecuador:
- Biodiversity/natural resources. Sub-themes: Biotechnology; Biomedicine; Energy and agricultural production systems.
- Education. Sub-themes: Educational research and problem based learning; Research based education; Teacher training; Ph.D. training.
- Health. Sub-themes: Health system and public health; Family medicine; HIV.
- Social sciences. Sub-themes: Security issues; Migration and intercultural topics.
- Food and nutrition.
- Cultural heritage.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- University management and issues related to strengthening of academic skills.Sub-themes: Scientific writing; Statistics; Academic English; Library and ICT skills.
- Institutional capacity building. Sub-themes: HR; Educational and research policies; University management.