The Vietnam Country Strategy follows the Vietnamese development plans through stimulating science innovation and high technology in products; improving and enhancing the quality of education, training and human resources development. The following main themes are identified for all future interventions in the cooperation with Vietnam:
- Biosciences for food. Sub-themes: Value chain management; Food safety and food security; Aquaculture development; Terrestrial animal production; Plant biotechnology; Health and balanced nutrition.
- Environment and natural resources. Sub-themes: Impact of climate change; Biodiversity and conservation of endangered species; Environmentalo and ecosystems management; Water resources management; Soil systems and degradation; Natural heritage.
- Public and rural health. Sub-themes: Community primary health care; Preventive health care; Maternal and child health; Epidemiology; Natural and community nutrition; Food hygiene; Hospital management.
- Technology development. Sub-themes: ICT and information networks; Electronics and telecommunications; Cleaner production and life cycle engineering; Marketing and logistics; Chemistry; Waste management and treatment technology; Clean, efficient and sustainable energy.
- Institutional strengthening and reform. Sub-themes: Higher education reform; ICT, e-learning and distant education; Networking; Statistics; Social sciences and research methodologies; Vocational education; University management; Good governance.
The country strategy identifies the following main transversal and cross-cutting themes:
- Governance and organisational development
- Environment and climate change
- Social protection and social security
- HIV / AIDS
- Research based education
- Research-education community outreach
- Higher professional / vocational education and training
- Institutional networking
The geographical focus put forward by the strategy, is central Vietnam.